Get rebellious and break some whisky rules with help from Glenfiddich’s Experimental Series
Whisky has been produced in the United Kingdom for centuries and is governed by many traditions and “rules”. Which is precisely what drove Glenfiddich to push boundaries with an experimental range of whiskies that mix things up and challenge all that.
RULEBREAKER No.1: ONLY MAKE WHISKY
Glenfiddich’s IPA Experiment saw the distillery’s malt master Brian Kinsman collaborating with Speyside craft brewer Seb Jones to create a bold and zesty IPA beer, and then finish a single malt whisky in the hop-infused oak barrels that had been used for the beer. The resulting whisky has unique zesty citrus notes and the subtle tang of fresh hops, with a smooth and lasting sweet finish.
- Aromas: fresh green apple, William’s pear, spring blossom, aromatic hops and fresh herbs
- Flavours: zesty citrus, creamy vanilla and a hint of fresh hops with a lasting sweetness and green hop echo to finish
SERVING SUGGESTION: GLENFIDDICH IPA EXPERIMENT BLOOD ORANGE & ICE BALL
- Add a large ball of ice to a glass
- Pour the preferred measure of Glenfiddich IPA Experiment Whisky
- Cut a 2-inch slice of blood orange peel and run it around the rim of the glass, then twist it and drop in. Enjoy the way the orange complements the whisky’s zesty notes and showcases its sweetness
RULEBREAKER NO.2: CREATE IN ISOLATION
Glenfiddich’s Project XX Experiment flouted the rule that one master distiller works on a whisky in isolation. For Glenfiddich’s second experimental whisky that rule was thrown firmly out the window by inviting 20 whisky experts from 16 countries to select any expression of their choosing from the thousands of traditionally stacked casks housed in the distillery’s warehouse. The final 20 chosen malt whiskies, which include some aged in port pipes and virgin bourbon barrels, were then expertly blended by malt master Brian Kinsman into an unusual, innovative and unexpected single malt whisky. The resulting whisky has facets of sweet cinnamon spice, almonds, rich port tannins and the odd hint of liquorice and candyfloss. Yes, we said that.
- Aromas: classic fruitiness, apple blossom, plump pear, rich vanilla oak, golden sugar and a touch of liquorice
- Flavour: candyfloss sweetness, toasted almonds, cinnamon, crisp tannins and a lingering sweet oaky finish
SERVING SUGGESTION: GLENFIDDICH PROJECT XX SEA SALT FLAKE SERVE
- Holding a glass from the bottom, add a teensy sprinkle of water from a running cold-water tap onto the outer lip of the glass
- Dab the wet lip of the glass lightly into a bowl of sea salt flakes, picking up 2 or 3 flakes at most
- Pour in your preferred measure of Glenfiddich Project XX Whisky
- Enjoy enhanced flavour by either drinking directly from the salted section of the glass, or by removing a flake and placing it onto your tongue
Toast Mail Drink ideas, recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.Sign up