Be in to win a delicious venison hamper from Silver Fern Farms + a recipe for Venison and Rocket Blue Cheese Sliders
An extra-lean and healthy source of protein, Silver Fern Farms grass-fed venison is a brilliant source of iron and essential vitamins. But you don’t want to know about that. What you want to know is that it’s a super-tasty meat that’s particularly perfect for winter dining, especially when paired with pinot noir wines.
“Farmed venison is fantastic to cook with,” says Mat McLean, restaurant owner and head chef of award-winning Palate in Hamilton. “When I am preparing a venison dish, it’s about balance. I enjoy adding sauces and/or garnishes to bring out the delicate flavours of this delicious meat.”
More and more Kiwi foodies are experimenting with cooking grass-fed venison at home and trying different combos to enjoy it with, like the recipe below, created in partnership with Wild Fennel Co, producers of specialist gourmet seasonings.
Venison mince, aioli and rocket blue cheese sliders (serves 4)
1 packet of Silver Fern Farms Venison Mince
30g Wild Fennel Co. venison seasoning
50g plain flour
200g blue cheese
8 slider buns
oil for cooking
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºc.
- To begin, slice your slider buns and in a small bowl break the blue cheese up with a fork and put to one side.
- Mix the Silver Fern Farms Venison Mince, Wild Fennel Co. venison seasoning, the egg and the plain flour in a large bowl until fully mixed.
- Divide the mixture into eight 50g meatballs and press into small burger patties.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a little of the cooking oil until it is almost smoking. Caramelise the burger patties for 2 minutes on both sides then to finish put in the oven for a further 4 minutes.
- Whilst the venison patties are in the oven lightly toast your slider buns then spread a generous amount of aioli on both sides.
- Take the venison from the oven and begin to assemble the sliders by placing a pattie on the base of the slider, topped with the broken down blue cheese, then a small handful of rocket and finish with the lid.
This week, Toast has a Silver Fern Farms Venison Hamper to give away to one lucky reader. The hamper (pictured below) includes:
- 2 x Silver Fern Farms meat vouchers
- Wild Fennel Spice Rub
- Olivado Extra Virgin Avacado Oil
- Barkers Blackcurrant & Red Onion Jelly (perfect with venison)
- A Silver Fern Farms chilly bag
- Silver Fern Farms branded table napkin
- The new venison recipes prepared by Wild Fennel
To enter, click here
Silver Fern Farms venison is available in medallions, stir fry, steaks, mince, diced and roast form, from RRP$9.95.