We wrap our lips around the new GABS Mixed Six Pack, taste the limited-edition Garage Project and Whittakers Chocolate Beer, and reminisce about the fun we had at GABS Auckland 2018
GABS MIXED SIX PACK
Greatly anticipated after last year’s stellar case, this year’s GABS Mixed Six Pack has just launched exclusively into selected Liquorland stores throughout the country (see bottom right to purchase). If you don’t want this year’s festival fun to stop, or couldn’t make it along yourself, this case of six carefully selected limited-edition brews will have you happier than a hop in a barrel. The pack includes six of Liquorland’s favourite GABS 2018 festival beers…
- Framboise A Trois – a delicious sour raspberry IPA created in collab by Liberty Brewing (Auk), Wheaty Brewing Corps (Aus) and Hawker’s Beer (Aus)
- Holy Cow! by Kereru Brewing Company (Wgtn), a malty ale infused with dates and pomegranate inspired by an ancient Egyptian beer recipe
- Steam Funk Stonefruit Berliner by Deep Creek Brewing Co (Auk), a German wheat beer full of Kiwi summer fruit like nectarines, peaches and apricots
- The Darryl Strawberry by Capital Brewing Co (Aus), an American wheat beer crammed with strawberry and rosemary
- Rockafella Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Ale – a stout that was aged in Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels for rounded flavours of vanilla, chocolate and oak, by Stockade Brew Co (Aus)
- Beer Blanket, Epic Brewing Company’s foreign extra stout with pockets of roasted malt, creamy oats and hints of awesome
GARAGE PROJECT LIMITED EDITION CHOCOLATE BEER
Oh yeah, you heard right, but we’ll say it again. Garage Project has just launched a Chocolate Beer, created with Whittaker’s Creamy Milk Chocolate. When two of New Zealand’s most-loved brands come together, you know it’s gonna be good, and as this concoction is limited edition and only available at selected stores, we suggest you amble at a calm but clippy pace to your local Liquorland to lay your hands on some while it lasts!
GABS 2018 REVIEW
The annual GABS beer, cider and food festival presented by Liquorland is the ultimate pilgrimage for the taste buds. This year’s festival was held last weekend in Auckland, and we’re already pining for next year’s edition. Each time the festival gets bigger and better, with more and more of the world’s best craft brewers creating one-off concoctions just for the event.
This year the Toast team fell in love with Bach Brewing’s 'Velvet Marley' with chocolate, coconut, red berries and cream (kinda like a Cherry Ripe with balls), 8 Wired Brewing’s 'Stone Free' fruity sour beer, and Panhead’s 'Banana Ice Cream Nitro IPA' which came with a topping of traffic-stopping hundreds-and-thousands.
We dug into great festival food from Judge Bao, Fritz’s Wieners and Puha & Pakeha while watching festival-goers throwing shapes and crooning in flashing headphones at the Silent Disco. While we didn’t have a short-back-and-sides at Sweatshop Brew Kitchen’s barbershop, we did buzz out chatting to brewers in the Liquorland Marketplace, where industry legends like Tuatara founder Carl Vasta shared their passion for all things beer. Roaming band The Ale Capones kept things cranking all day, the festival finale singalong to Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody a highlight. Good on you GABS, we can’t wait to do it again next year!
Toast Mail Drink ideas, recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.Sign up